University life has unforgettable moments that remain etched in student’s mind many years after leaving the institution. Strong emotions are common in all students in relation to exams especially the final ones.
To some students, these emotions can be overwhelming so that some kind of therapy is necessary for them to recover their balance and be able to take the exams effectively. Some of the measures taken include relaxation and de-stress massages.
The aim of massage therapy is to:
- Loosen muscular tension
- Promote focus and concentration.
- Reduce mental fogginess and fatigue.
- Promote proper lymph drainage and blood flow.
Types of relaxation and de-stress massages.
A person under any form of stress, including exam stress, has symptoms that manifest through the body or mentally. Some of the mental tension will manifest physically in what is referred to as psychosomatic symptoms.
Relaxation and de-stress massages aims at releasing this tension so that body functions can perform optimally. Some signs of exam stress include:
- Poor sleep quality and quantity.
- Excessive worry.
- Fear of what others will think of the results.
- Persistent negativity.
- Panic and anxiety.
Physical manifestations of exam stress:
- Persistent headache
- Abdominal disorders.
Remedial massage therapy techniques to address these symptoms.
Most of these techniques are from alternative medicine practices. All these techniques fall under remedial massage see more info; which include:
- Acupressure which involves applying finger pressure on specific body parts known to reduce mental pressure and promote the body to heal itself.
- Acupuncture involves insertion of fine needles on the same parts used in acupressure.
- Shiatsu is a Japanese origin ‘pressure’ massage therapy that has shown benefits in reducing stress.
- Cranio-sacral therapy involves massage of part of the muscles on the back of the head and neck.
- Osteopathy involves massage that specifically deals with muscles, ligaments and tendons.
- Seated massage concentrates on the back and has a lot of similarity to acupressure.
- Reflexology concentrates on the ears, hands and feet. The practitioners of this massage therapy believe that these parts have connections with all parts of the body.
- Neuromuscular therapy is a modern innovation that operates on the principles of the ancient massage therapies.
All these techniques can help a university student become relaxed, calm, confident and energized to face the exam.
Other ways university students need to do to help them focus on their studies.
Students who are tense and stressed due to exams generally have other unsettled issues that lead to this state of stress. Addressing certain areas of their campus life will help avoid this stress. These areas include:
Developing good study habits. This include effective coverage of course work and avoidance of last minute rush. It also involves:
- Studying to understand content and context of material rather than cramming.
- Getting into the exam mode by practicing with past test papers or tests available in study manuals or text books.
- Avoid procrastination on what needs to be done.
- Having and following a study time-table.
A healthy lifestyle is not only beneficial in the long run but also during the exam period. A number of things to consider here include:
- Getting enough rest and sleep.
- Getting a healthy nutrition instead of junk food and so called comfort foods.
- Being active instead of leading a sedentary life.
- Proper time management and
- Having the right priorities.
Some exam stress may be due to persistent negative outlook to the whole situation. Positive affirmations like ‘I can do it’ and ‘I have done it before’ can be helpful.
Have all necessary information
It is important to have enough information about all that is required in the course. Preparing properly in all that a tutor expects the student to know also helps the student to have exam strategies that will see them get into the exam room quietly confident.
Such information also helps the student to escape a gloomy outlook on the possible outcome of the exam. This measures in addition to relaxation and de-stress massages will make the student bring out their best in exams.
How to deal with stress when it comes to studying? Can exam stress be avoided?
Exam stress is a serious problem…
…but exam stress can be eliminated. Read how.
We live under constant stress, it is almost inevitable. Our body is constantly adapting to it. If we know what is stressing us then we are able to deal with the stress. It basically means adapting to stress changes.
How to recognize stress?
To a student stress can be a challenge or overload. The boundary between one and the other is a matter of each individual in a given time. The first step to an identification of stress is to have good knowledge of yourself, meaning you must really know yourself well. Signs of stress are shown in the physical and psychological level.
A typical physical signs of stress are: